As I only had one pop gun, and need to make two props from it, I would have to avoid cutting it up, and make a mould and cast the finished item. To start with I took it apart and used the two outer sliding case parts to make the smart gun battery. I re-joined the two halves, and then set about filling the various holes to make a solid object. Nothing permanent in the way of filler could be used so wax was the best alternative. Many people over look this as a temporary filler, but its ease of filling and ability to be smoothed off with wooden clay sculpting tools is a real bonus.
I filled the back of the screw holes, as these were just unsightly, then filled and smoothed off the large hole where the pop gun handle used to be.I also removed the trade marks from the toy company, as it was meant as a prop not a toy. The trade marks were removed, but as with anything cast in plastic, they leave a surface with a slight mark. To remove this I covered the various areas in masking tape, so when moulded a slight textured effect would cover the marks. I also decided to add a Wayland logo as it just seemed appropriate, and finished the item off.With the body finished, I needed to make the end plugs and angled bits which if using the whole pop gun would have been cut from that. As I needed the pop gun intact for the multi tool, out came the rod of resin and the lathe.The end plates were easy to turn, but the angled bits took a bit more time, as they had to be made to a snug fit once finished the bits were tried in place, then removed and the ends drilled to take the mono jack plug. Once drilled the jack plugs were glued in place to avoid moving while being moulded.
I must just add, and then screen prop actually uses a mono jack plug, not a stereo plug. While this might seem insignificant to some, attention to detail is what makes a good prop replica.With the smart gun battery finished, it was time to make a mould, so these bits can be put back with the other bits to make the multi tool. As this has lots of fine detail and undercuts the normal ways of just pouring the resin in and letting it set, will not give a crisp clean cast. So to avoid this, it will be pressure cast. This means the silicon mould has to set under pressure as well.I use Lego to make the outer box as this means the box can be tailor made to fit the item being moulded, without wasting loads of silicon in areas that would normally square the box off. Also as it a two part mould, keys need adding so the two halves lock together.Failure to put keys into the two halves will mean the halves will not align perfectly, and a pour finished cast will be the end product.
This was one of those elusive parts, which I came across quite by chance.  Someone was selling the pop guns on a message board I visit ever so often, so as with anything like this I snapped one up, as I didn't know when I would get the chance again.  It actually makes two of the props used in Aliens, the battery connector for the smart gun, and a utility tool, which I must admit; I have yet to spot while watching the film.
07-alien-battery-head.jpg
07-alien-battery-01.jpg
07-alien-battery-02.jpg
07-alien-battery-09.jpg
07-alien-battery-03.jpg
07-alien-battery-04.jpg
07-alien-battery-05.jpg
07-alien-battery-06.jpg
07-alien-battery-08.jpg
07-alien-allpage-index.jpg
07-alien-allpage-home.jpg
07-alien-allpage-making.jpg
07-alien-battery-07.jpg