The finished item, which always looks better with a coat of paint. As two were needed, I made a mould of the prototype and cast two. This saves having to make another complete vent, and also a solid one piece resin vent is a lot stronger than one made from styrene. While styrene is good to make stuff from, itís not that durable and I have found over time, the joints, have a tendency to come unstuck. This in solid resin will last as long as needed. Again made from a slab of resin, the main face panel is cast then the template stuck onto it, and the slots cut out. This vent has a little pocket as it seems to be called at the bottom, so this need making as well.
The pocket is made from sheet plastic, and made curved to start with, as bending a box like this would be impossible.
When the slots are cut and the box made, the two are stuck together and a bit of car body filler added to fill in any gaps or nicks, so when a mould is made, you get a nice clean crisp pocket vent.
07-sw-r6-index-sw-index.jpg
07-sw-r6-index-index.jpg
07-sw-r6-index-make-index.jpg
07-sw-r6-index-main.jpg
Again made from a slab of resin, the main face panel is cast then the template stuck onto it, and the slots cut out. This vent has a little pocket as it seems to be called at the bottom, so this need making as well.
The pocket is made from sheet plastic, and made curved to start with, as bending a box like this would be impossible.
When the slots are cut and the box made, the two are stuck together and a bit of car body filler added to fill in any gaps or nicks, so when a mould is made, you get a nice clean crisp pocket vent.
07-sw-r6-pocket-vent-head.gif
This vent was made on the spur of the moment, so not many pictures of how it was made. Again bits like this are fairly easy to make, and can be made from just sheet styrene if thatís all you have.
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-01.jpg
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-02.jpg
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-03.jpg
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-04.jpg
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-05.jpg
07-sw-r6-poc-vent-06.jpg