This is my model of the Babylon 5 MKI Starfury. It was made by Revell and I got it years ago when the series was still on TV in the UK. Back then the internet was not was it is now, and eBay didnít exist so finding rare or hard to get kits meant hours of looking up model shop phone numbers and ringing around. I eventually found one up the other end of the country to where I live so bought and paid for it old style mail order.
07-models-starfury-head.jpg
07-models-starfury-01.jpg
07-models-starfury-02.jpg
07-models-starfury-03.jpg
07-models-starfury-home.jpg
07-models-starfury-mod-in.jpg
07-models-starfury-make-in.jpg
This was what I class as my first proper go at a model. While I had built many models over the years and painted them, I had never before used model filler to fill in the seams and sand then all flat to look like a proper miniature version instead of just a painted model. That was thanks to the guy in the model shop where I bought it from. He just casually asked if I wanted glue or filler, and it went from there.
Being my first proper attempt, it took far longer than models had before. It was also a steep learning curve, as when you are using filler to fill the seems, some stuff needs painting up front, so it can be assemble and the outer seems filled as you go.
07-models-starfury-04.jpg
07-models-starfury-05.jpg
07-models-starfury-06.jpg
07-models-starfury-07.jpg
07-models-starfury-08.jpg
07-models-starfury-09.jpg
07-models-starfury-10.jpg
07-models-starfury-11.jpg
Although the kit came with various decals for different versions, I wanted to do my own paint job as I would have had it if I were a Starfury pilot. I wanted something bright but not to fancy, so in the end settled for the red strips.
I made a few modifications as I went, one being I drilled out the cannons on it, so they looked more cannon like, and not just protrusions. Back then inkjet printers were nowhere near as good as nowadays, or I would have printed off a small picture of my face and stuck on instead of the decal that came with it.
I Just a few more all round shots to show it a bit better. One thing I did notice was the model compared to the size of the pilot doesnít quite seem in scale. In the TV series, the ship seems bigger when you see the pilot in it. Perhaps an oversight or Iím just being picky.with it.
This was also the first model I tried to weather, to get away from that overly to new look, models have when done. At the time I didnít have an airbrush, so painted it flat grey. It took several coats, as I thinned the paint slightly to avoid brush marks. Thinning worked great just needs more coats to cover well.
As for weathering, all I had as a brief guide was an old Games Workshop magazine a friend gave me, which had a section on aging and weathering. It looked very good but to get it looking just right a lot of skill is needed or it turns out looking a right bodge.
In the end to avoid the bodged look, I went of just dirtying it up. I used a bit of cotton wool and some finely sanded coal dust, yes very simple, but it worked ok. Not perhaps as good as some folk have done, but it came out really well for my first attempt.
I have to confess I am still not too good at weathering, itís an acquired skill. I am not so bad when I have pictures to follow, as in the case of my millennium falcon model. That was really just a case of duplicating the finish in the pictures. So if I need to weather anything, I have been gathering pictures over the years of weathered things, so I have something to work to. Sometimes if you are not so good at something, instead of giving up, try a different approach. Sometimes you can get round the problem by using something else not related to the project at hand as a guide.