I did find a few towing posts or bollards or whatever they are called available, but none that looked right. So after a bit of research on the internet, I found a few pictures I liked of older tugs which just seemed to have this large post on the back where a rope was attached, and this was more what I was after.
The main body was turned from a rod of aluminium to match the shape as closely as I could get, while altering it just enough that it looked like what I wanted.
The base was simply a square of styrene cut on my model saw and a hole drilled at each corner to attach it by. One thing I had noticed from the pictures I found was these were bolted down with monster sized bolts, so leaving the base flat to be glued on wouldn’t look right.
08-boat-compass.jpg
08-boat-compass.jpg
08-boat-sale-rc-link.jpg
08-boat-sale-home-link.jpg
08-boat-sale-boat-link.jpg
Next as with most of the bits I make, a silicon mould was made and a few copies cast. They came out ok and after finding some BA studding with nuts to hold them down, a coat of paint and weathering later and they were done.
This part is for sale in made in resin.
Pack of two are £2.50
Post and packing resin: £1.50 for the first item then .50p for each item thereafter.
08-boat-sale-tow-header.jpg
08-boat-sale-tow-001.jpg
08-boat-sale-tow-002.jpg
08-boat-sale-tow-003.jpg
08-boat-sale-parts-link.jpg