Well this is another bio from AVP, called Chopper. I actually started it ages ago, (around the time the film came out) but due to work and life in general it got put on a back burned and forgotten about for ages. I did fiddle with it from time to time, but due to this there are not many during construction pictures, but hopefully there are enough to give you a good idea how I made it.
So while the basic size and shape are similar to the other bioís from the film, this one did differ slightly in the shape of its dome, and roundness of the lower face section in general. It would have been far easier to just use a normal P1 type bio and add the different lines and details to it, but that would not really have done it justice. So after careful study of the length, width and depth of it, I started work using my Scar bio as a base.
As you can see from these few pictures, I used my Scar bio as a base, and either built up areas, or took them away to get the basic shape I needed. Some of the main differences were the brow above the eye line protruded much further out, and there were no recesses in the cheek section of the bio it was more rounded.
To bring the area above the eyes out, a very simple piece of cardboard was used, with filler covering it. To fill the cheek section out I used a hybrid filler I make which was very light and easy to sand, but very bulky.
The top of the bio also needed quite a lot of work; firstly as it was rounder at the back, and also instead of curving straight back, there is a kind of lip round it, so filler was added to the underside to allow it to be sanded back.
There a fairly big gap between taking photos here, as most work was done when I had a few odd moments, never planned. It actually took far longer as being more rounded was far harder to get right, while at the same time it had to stay symmetrical. I spent many hors adding tiny amounts of filler to get both sides the same, sometimes taking a bit away from one, and adding another till it looked right.
The biggest problem was not many pictures of this bio exist which made it harder to get right. Luckily I was sent a few pictures of it from backstage during filming which gave me a better insight, and also answered a few questions I had about bits on it.
These pictures were taken several months ago when I got it out and done a bit more to it, but due to other pressures in life it was a short lived attempt to finish it. I was at this stage however happy with the overall look of it from all angles. I spent ages comparing it to the front and side pictures trying to get it right.
More recently I had more spare time on my hands, so set about finishing it off for good. I stuck the remaining studs to the check sections, and gave it a coat of paint to give it a hammered effect. While it doesnít look much now, when cast in resin the effect looks good, being just enough while not to overpower the overall look of it.
You can see in these pictures better now itís painted all the lines and detailing that went into it, which were so crucial to getting it right. Now all that is left to do is make a silicon mould of it and make a cast, then itís done.
The mould is just really a skin over the mask, then a fibreglass jacket to hold it in place. This is a better way of doing it oppose to making a box round the mask then filling it with silicon. This way the mould is nice and light and easy to more around when applying the outer layer of resin.
The key to making a good cast of something like this is the resin. You need a good quality fast setting resin, which doesn't mean the most expensive you, can buy, but the best to work with. I use a fast set resin with very low shrinkage, which is important as you often see bios that are warped or out of shape and this is more often than not cheap nasty resin that shrinks a lot as it cures, distorting the mask. The other thing is filler needs mixing to the resin to not only bulk it up, but good lightweight filler will also stop it shrinking even more which is good.
With the resin and filler I use, mixed in a set ratio, I get almost no shrinkage, in fact so little you can only tell with a measuring gauge.
08-predator-chop-header.jpg
08-predator-chop-01.jpg
08-predator-chop-02.jpg
08-predator-chop-03.jpg
08-predator-chop-04.jpg
08-predator-chop-05.jpg
08-predator-chop-06.jpg
08-predator-chop-08.jpg
08-predator-chop-09.jpg
08-predator-chop-10.jpg
08-predator-chop-11.jpg
08-predator-chop-12.jpg
08-predator-chop-13.jpg
08-predator-chop-14.jpg
08-predator-chop-15.jpg
08-predator-chop-16.jpg
08-predator-chop-17.jpg
08-predator-chop-07.jpg
08-predator-chop-18.jpg
08-predator-all-home-link.jpg
08-predator-all-index-link.jpg
08-predator-all-make-link.jpg
08-predator-chop-19.jpg