PLEASE NOTE: I DID NOT MAKE THIS BIO HELMET AND DO NOT CLAIM TO. ALL I DID WAS MAKE A FEW ADJUSTMENTS TO CORRECT IT PROPORTIONALLY AND DETAIL WISE.
ALL PICTURES SHOW THE BIO HELMET WITH MY ADJUSTMENTS.
This was the second bio helmet I bought mainly as it was my favourite out of all of them. It was claimed to be cast off the original screen used one, but I took that with a pinch of salt as I wasnít really bothered about its origin, I just liked it for its size and shape.
On arrival and closer inspection, regardless of the claims of where if came from it was lacking a few details and had a large dent in the top and also looked far to narrow. Nothing major, but bits I felt needed correcting.
My first job was to enhance the very shallow glyphs round the rim of it, and add the few that were missing. This was one of the things that made me doubt its origins as the glyphs can be seen quite clearing in a few pictures that are available and this bio was lacking some of them.
Also the oval and square bits behind the glyphs were not prominent enough compared to the film used one in the pictures of it. Neither of these jobs were hard to correct and took only a day or so to do, but bits I felt just finished it off. Also on the right lower cheek section there was what looked like a piece of oval plastic kit tank turret on it. In one of the pictures showing this and several other lost hunters standing against a wall during the shooting of the film, when enhanced it quite clearly showed a round bit here, not oval. While the detail is not clear enough to show exactly what this round bit was, it was clear it was round so I turned a bit on my lathe that I replaced it with.
The next job was to remove the dent in the top and correct its width. Both of these problems looked like mistakes made due to poor moulding and casting by whoever made it.
The substance it was made out of I can only describe as it resembled royal icing and was about as strong. Unlike fibreglass this was not susceptible to heating and reshaping, so other means to reshape it were needed.
After several different attempts to correct it, I finally came up with a way that not only allowed the dent in the top to be almost removed completely, but also gave the bio its width back.
Width wise it was only the back side edge that was brought perhaps an inch further out, but when done it looked far more like the one you see at the end of the film, instead of the slightly narrower version it started as.
With all the adjustments done I made a mould and cast me a new one. The finished cast looked much better and more fitting for one of the lost hunters.
The next job was to paint it. I have to admit here I thought the bio was a bronze stroke gold colour, but I then realised that was due to the lighting in the ship at the end of Predator 2.
On seeing the behind the scenes pictures of the lost hunters standing against a wall, it was shown in its sort of silver grey with darkened marking on it.
So with the colours and patterns now known I set about painting it. I have to admit there are still a few bits not precisely as per the screen used one, but these were what I considered major alterations, requiring the reshaping and adding of bits. However unless you are a super eagle eyed die hard fan, the chances are you havenít even spotted them.
08-predator-all-home-link.jpg
08-predator-all-index-link.jpg
08-predator-all-make-link.jpg
08-predator-ram-header.jpg
08-predator-ram-001.jpg
08-predator-ram-002.jpg
08-predator-ram-003.jpg
08-predator-ram-004.jpg
08-predator-ram-005.jpg
08-predator-ram-006.jpg
08-predator-ram-007.jpg
08-predator-ram-008.jpg
08-predator-ram-009.jpg
08-predator-ram-010.jpg