With the body kit fitted firmly in place, the next thing to do was the inside. Now anyone that has ever owned or been in a Mini will know they arenít the quietest of cars, so my next aim was to make it as quiet as possible. The first thing to do was stop the drumming. For this I used self-adhesive sound deadening sheets which are about ten inches square and come fifty in a box. I used about forty of them and stuck them to the floor, on the inside of the doors and back side panels. The back seat, in the back side pockets, on the back shelf, on the inside of the roof, on the inner front wings, and on the bit behind the dashboard. Basically stuck these anywhere it could be put to stop the drumming and cut down on noise. In total I used around 50 square feet of it, because I also had a larger sheet as well which I had, had for years.The sound deadening however didn't stop there because there were still places where the sound deadening sheet couldn't be stuck for certain reasons. I was then looking in the Demon Tweeks catalogue and found a sound deadening paint or spray on stuff. After much contemplating, because this stuff was £50 a litre, I ordered a can. I found this stuff to be brilliant and found further cut down the drumming noise.In total I used 2 cans to get a solid sounding finish. I know itís quite expensive, but this can be painted on any surface at any angle. I found the best way was to paint or spray a very thin coat on first and let it dry, then put the next coat on much thicker. It does stick quite well, but if you put it on to thickly on the first coat it tends to run down, hence the very thin first coat which then give the rest something very rough to stick to.
     With the sound deadening done, it was time to do the interior panels. If you've already looked at all the pics you will know I now sit in the middle to drive, so the panels had to be tailored to fit round the central driving position. I could have used all the old panels, but I decided to get the most space; I'd have to design the panels and dash myself so I got what I wanted, where I wanted it. All the interior panels are made of good old MDF, which was cut, shaped, sealed and painted, in the shapes needed. It would have been much much quicker to have lots of square edges and flat areas, but I thought round edges and curvy shapes would look much nicer, as the Mini is very curvy.Also as I now sit in the middle the rear side pockets have been altered and cut down to allow easier access to the back seats. Also for rear passenger comfort I have added a small arm rest over the rear wheel arch.The front door panels have a long pocket in each of them, with combination speakers in a box at the front. I have added 2 additional consoles in the roof. For these I welded a cross support steel framework in place, to mount them to and also strengthen the car. There is one across just by the side door pillars, and the other is above the windscreen.The middle one only has another pair of combination speakers in it, while the front one houses an array of switches, and the head unit. All the panels were custom built to fit to around me when Iím sitting in my car. Other people could drive it but if they were bigger or smaller they might have trouble reaching everything.I used to have a racing harness in the car before I re built it and found with the switches in the old places it was a real pain to reach them as they were designed to be used with a standard seat belt. Where all these can be reached with the harness done up.
     As Iíve gone along doing bits, I've altered a few things that I always felt needed a bit of attention. The Mini was designed and built using items available at the time, and over the years it has been updated from time to time. However manufactures always have time and costs as the main priority, where when you re-build it yourself you donít. I also wanted to add the changes I thought of without sacrificing the original items, so where possible I have used the original bits.I now have 4 small internal fans. There is one behind each of the old side vents, which are fed from outside as before. There are also two small fans built into the front of the new compact heater unit, and a larger fan outside under the wing.
     As I have changed the seating position all the switches have had to be moved, so I have totally rewired the car, adding a much-needed larger fuse box, so instead of the old 4 fuses, now each electrical item has its own fuse. I've also added a host of new gadgets, which bring it up to date a bit more. My favourite bit is the new steering column shroud. I made this as well, but now instead of the old stalk controls, I've designed and built paddles to operate the functions the old stalk controls used to operate. Which I think looks really good.As the gearstick had to be offset, because of the seating position I needed to build a new housing for it, which incorporates, more switches, for yet more gadgets. The peddles were by far the easiest thing to change, because the Mini shell is left or right hand drive, it was simply job of altering and welding a single peddle box, to act as a clutch peddle. The pedals are now slightly further apart, as I always found them to be to close with my huge Timberland boots on.The finishing touch was making the wipers to work from the centre, so they both went out and in together. Again this was easy to do, but I feel it was only so, because of the simplistic design of the Mini in the first place. Had it been any other car with a complicated steel rod wiper assembly this couldnít have been done.
10-mini-pre-link.gif 10-mini-home-link.gif 10-mini-next-link.gif 10-mini-index-link.gif